dumb question

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 12:38:17 UTC 2012

On Tue, 2012-01-03 at 23:19 -0800, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
> To the list:
>
> I am dealing with a primary Fedora machine and a alternate WinXP under
> cygwin. Cygwin always screw up the permissions when I drag stuff over to
> it and then bring it back to the Fedora box. I've got scripts to handle
> making things right again.
>
> But I did have a question which I didn't find out from Googling (as I
> suspect I didn't know how to phrase it). On a Fedora/Linux box, do
> Makefile/makefile (s) have to be set to +x? Or can they be just "rw-r--r--"?

I know you and Ed (and Marvin) have been round the block on this, but if
you'll allow an oldie to sum up:

Makefiles are not normally executables, in fact they aren't normally
Shell scripts. Therefore they don't need to have the +x attribute. It's
easy to list the Makefiles on your system and check this:

ls -l $(locate -b -i '\Makefile')

poc