VGA Card with Dual Monitor

Peter Boy pboy at barkhof.uni-bremen.de
Wed Jan 4 23:44:07 UTC 2012

Am Dienstag, den 03.01.2012, 20:53 +0800 schrieb Koh Choon Lin:
> I would soon be building a desktop for trading with dual monitors (not
> cloned). I would like to ask which graphic card works with dual
> monitor function (and has 2 DVI output) and is supported by the Linux
> kernel without the need to install additional drivers from the card
> manufacturer.

Just bought a Zotac Geforce 210 Synergy Edition (ZT-20310). It's quite a
cheap office card, two dual-link DVI outputs, passive cooling without
additional noise. Dual Monitor works fine both with OSS and Nvidia
driver. Nvidia driver provides better hardware rendering / accel for 3D
games, CAD, etc. Card may not be suitable for gaming.

Another card I used is Radeon HD 5450, 2 DVI, passive cooling as well.
Works fine with OSS driver, but no HW accel available in F14, seems to
be supported in F15 and beyond (driver version 6.14.x). Closed source
AMD driver is awful, distorted display in firefox and some other
programs.

Previously used a Sapphire Radeon HD 3470, dual DVI, passive cooling.
DVI unusable in fedora with OSS driver (long lasting bug since F12 or
so), plain VGA works rather OK.

Peter