Moving to Forums (was Re: [Linda's mistake about a] Software Package..?

Joel Rees joel.rees at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 00:09:00 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 8:27 PM, Alan Cox <alan at lxorguk.ukuu.org.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 4 Jan 2012 10:51:05 +0000
> Richard Hughes <hughsient at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3 January 2012 23:05, Linda McLeod <lindavaldeen at fastmail.fm> wrote:

(Would have elided that, but is there a real .fm TLD?)

>> > users mailing list
>> > users at lists.fedoraproject.org
>>
>> Either the moderators ban this user, or I'm unsubscribing. The
>> signal-to-noise ratio is just too low at the moment and it's wasting
>> my time.
>
> Most people already left for fedora forum and the like. The list is
> basically not managed so its useless. If you want to fix that you need
> to take it up with the fedora board I believe.

The reason I'm not using the forums is that they are clumsy and full
of people who don't seem to be able to use man.

I like them for the not having to delete stuff from my mail box, and
for reducing the overall burden on the web, but the signal-to-noise
ratio there is not what I would call low.

Don't have time to write a full analysis here, but this touches on
something I posted a riff on yesterday:

Anyway, as several have noted already, the "mass migration" to the
forums is not what it would seem, for several reasons.

--
Joel Rees