dumb question [on scripting]

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 5 00:21:18 UTC 2012

On 01/04/2012 11:28 PM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
<>

 On 1/4/2012 1:36 PM, g wrote:
>> On 01/04/2012 08:22 AM, Paul Allen Newell wrote:
>> <>
>>
>> -=-
>>
>> in addition to;
>>
>>    [man|info] .
>>
>> have a look at;
>>
>>    [man|info] make
>>
>>    [man|info] bash
>>
>>    [man|info] tcsh
>>
>> *note*
>>
>>    .sh  = bash
>>    .csh = tcsh
>>

>> to save your self time, try running '[man|info] word/command' to see
>> how something work. then when you get confused, post to list for
>> further confusion. 8-D
>>

> g:
>

> I cannot begin to tell you how many times I have gone over the man pages
> for bash/sh/tcsh/etc. and read everything on the web. I keep an html of
> the make doc on my desktop to make sure I can always consult (I didn't
> spot an answer when I scanned it).
-=-

i can understand. it takes time. just consider what it was like in 70's
when i started learning micro cpu's and unix, as well as others, when
there was no internet as it is today.

as for man|info, 'man' was written when terse was in. 'info' is just a
little less terse. ;)

note links in my sig, from tldp, a search for "scripts" at tldp provided;

http://www.google.com/cse?cx=017644269519104757279%3Agm62gtzaoky&q=scripts&sa=go#gsc.tab=0&gsc.q=scripts&gsc.page=1

granted, that link leads to a lot of reading, but i believe 1st, 4th
and 5th hits will be of great help.

i envy your learning c++. i started out with machine code and assembler.
having learned them, i could not see a lot of advantage of c when it
can out so i learned it to work up screen displays quickly, which i
would dissemble and rewrite.

i wish i had stayed with c and gone further with c++. i can read and
debug them, but creating with them is a downfall for me.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**