dumb question [on scripting]

Paul Allen Newell pnewell at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Jan 5 07:27:55 UTC 2012

[inline]

On 1/4/2012 10:08 PM, g wrote:
> 'wiz kids' of today have no concept of what 'the good old days' where like.

That may be a blessing as quite a few of the good old day were really
bad old days.

> you had things easier than i because you worked 'mainframe' where you at
> least had someone to ask. i had myself and an s100 box with dialup bbs
> and an 'outside dialin' to access local college 'mainframe' to search it's
> files and out thru arpanet to other colleges to search. slow, but it usually
> got results.

but I bet you learned more about "how to survive with a computer" given
the availability of "someone to ask" wasn't something you could count on.

> if you look at 10th hit, 'Bash Guide for Beginners', 'Table of Contents',
> you will see it is main for 5th hit. wherein 'Introduction 1.', 1st
> paragraph gives a good description of what it is all about.
>
> 'Table of Contents' does show a good breakdown of sections and should
> lend to quick finding of what you may need.
>
> i have never really found anything "short" for what i wanted to know
> about bash or anything else that i needed to find out more about, but
> i can say that 'tdlp' has covered pretty much of what i was looking for.

I suspect (and hope) this material will keep me off the list for awhile
(smile)

> most all of my assembler work has been for controllers and c and c++ where
> just too much bloat to do what i needed. plus, with al, i never had to
> worry of stack or buffer over flow. ;)

My machine code was when there was nothing else and my assembler was in
the early video games days where all you got was a 4K cartridge and most
of the time was spent trying to pack a much larger program into that
bloody cartridge. But assembler was good for me in that it taught me
alot about being clever and where one needed to be really clever.

> i look at it another way, 'why reinvent the wheel'. if you can make what
> is already written work with scripts, use it, do not write it new. :)

With all due respect, this feels like you are throwing the classic
cliche over the problem. My comment was much more about effort/gain
ratio at an age where effort really has to be looked at whether it
advances the main chance.

I think we ought to put this thread to bed, its beginning to drift OT

Thanks,
Paul