Neal Becker Software Package..?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 5 11:57:30 UTC 2012

On Wed, 2012-01-04 at 21:54 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Maybe it is my ignorance, but I find it much more time-consuming
> to navigate through a forum than to skim through a newsgroup/mailing
> list.

No, I agree with your sentiment.  Forums are rarely well-organised, just
a hoshposh of postings.  And it gets worse the more messages in a
thread, and the more forums you get involved in.  With email, they all
come to you, and you can filter and organise them as you see fit.

I think I've been doing this for over 15 years, by now, and I can
participate in mailing lists, or news groups, with ease.  But using web
forums involves logging in left, right, and centre, and always having to
*search* for things.  You have to wade through page after page to do
anything, and owners keep on re-organising things.  And you have plenty
of slow-as-molasses forums, because of what they run on, or they allow
users to put scripting or animated avatars next to their post, which
bogs your browser down.  Yep, 3 GHz computer brought to its knees by
badly constructed webpages, never mind users injecting malicious stuff.

I participate in no web forums, because they're such a pain.  And I've
yet to see a single one to convince me otherwise.

--
NB:  All mail to my mailbox is automatically deleted, there is no point
trying to privately email me without making prior arrangements.