yum.conf file

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu Jan 5 12:59:38 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 12:46 +0100, Reindl Harald wrote:
> my god it refers to the "# metadata_expire=90m" as
> usually comment blocks are before the setting they
> describe
>
> maybe you should read a comment-block from
> start to end beofre calling things "useless"

Well, actually, maybe file comment writers shouldn't write such utterly
crappily written comments, so that such things aren't readily noticed.

There's two paragraphs, the first one just says "this," with no
indication what the hell it's referring to.  There's a whole list of
settings above it, and logically speaking "this" would refer to the last
one, from the point of view in writing in English.  The bit you mention
is at the end of another paragraph.  I had read the whole thing, and it
incoherently written.  You read the whole thing I attached, again.  It's
written VERY BADLY.

If they wanted the reader to understand what that comment was about,
they should have (a) written a coherent comment, and (b) put the default
option in the configuration file either above or below the comment, as
PART of the configuration file, not buried in the comment text, as per
the usual custom in commenting configuration files.

There's a long standing rule in documentation, that YOU DO NOT write
vague descriptions using words like "this" to describe what you're
talking about.  You use the actual terms in the sentence.

Oh, and you can take "your god," and put it back in the box with all the
other mythical characters.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
3.1.5-6.fc16.x86_64

public lists.

Creativity is no substitute for knowing what you are doing.