Yum update/bug alert

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu Jan 5 14:15:07 UTC 2012

On 01/05/2012 09:01 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:30:01 -0500, RM (Robert) wrote:
>
>> Where is it with f16/G3?
> What is "G3"?
>
>> I once saw that poor excuse of a popup at the bottom of the screen
>> saying something about updates available.
>>
>> But if that all there is, who watches there screen all the time????
> What exactly is your question?
>
> Normal updates are being checked for less frequently than before anyway.
> I don't mind if I miss the notification. I'm glad that with GNOME Shell
> there is less activity in panels. The bottom panel suffers from a few bugs
> currently, and e.g. finished print job notifications pile up in it.
>
> If I want to apply updates "right now", I type "Alt+F1", "upd" and RETURN
> to start the Software Update tool.

I want a constant reminder like we had in G2 (Gnome 2).  I might not get
to doing the update for hours or even a day, if it is not an important
update, but I don't want to forget it.  Right now, I just don't see the
update message.  Since the (Dec 8), I have seen it all of once.  I have
determined that there are updates by running "yum update" in a root shell.

If there are updates, I want to know about it.  If they are important
bug fixes or critical security fixes I want to know that too.

This "flash in the pan" just does not do it for something that could be
really important.