Yum update/bug alert

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Jan 5 14:58:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 09:15 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 09:01 AM, Michael Schwendt wrote:
> > On Thu, 05 Jan 2012 08:30:01 -0500, RM (Robert) wrote:
> >
> >> Where is it with f16/G3?
> > What is "G3"?
> >
> >> I once saw that poor excuse of a popup at the bottom of the screen
> >> saying something about updates available.
> >>
> >> But if that all there is, who watches there screen all the time????
> > What exactly is your question?
> >
> > Normal updates are being checked for less frequently than before anyway.
> > I don't mind if I miss the notification. I'm glad that with GNOME Shell
> > there is less activity in panels. The bottom panel suffers from a few bugs
> > currently, and e.g. finished print job notifications pile up in it.
> >
> > If I want to apply updates "right now", I type "Alt+F1", "upd" and RETURN
> > to start the Software Update tool.
>
> I want a constant reminder like we had in G2 (Gnome 2).  I might not get
> to doing the update for hours or even a day, if it is not an important
> update, but I don't want to forget it.  Right now, I just don't see the
> update message.  Since the (Dec 8), I have seen it all of once.  I have
> determined that there are updates by running "yum update" in a root shell.
>
> If there are updates, I want to know about it.  If they are important
> bug fixes or critical security fixes I want to know that too.
>
> This "flash in the pan" just does not do it for something that could be
> really important.

Once those pop-ups appear and disappear, there's a retractable
notification bar that they retreat to.  Move the cursor to the lower
right corner to raise it.

It looks like the permanent-notification extension hasn't been packaged,
at least for F15.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences