Another Fedora 16 + Gnome 3.2 question!?

Matthew Saltzman mjs at clemson.edu
Thu Jan 5 21:55:40 UTC 2012

On Thu, 2012-01-05 at 14:37 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 01:53 PM, Matthew Saltzman wrote:

> >> Truly frightening.  BOth ways.
> >>
> > On F15:
> >
> >          $ r
> >          bash: r: command not found...
> >          Similar command is: 'R'
> >
> >          $ which r
> >          /usr/bin/which: no r in
> >          (/usr/lib64/qt-3.3/bin:/usr/lib64/ccache:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/opt/bin:/home/mjs/bin)
> >
> >          $ whereis r
> >          r:
> >
> > It does seem rather unlikely.
>
> I did it and it worked.  'r' restarted gnome 3 and 'fixed' a couple
> issues.  Maybe it only works within the <ALt-F2> command environment and
> not from a terminal shell?

Ah, yes, from http://live.gnome.org/GnomeShell/CheatSheet:

        Developer tools

        Looking Glass is GNOME Shell's integrated inspector tool and
        JavaScript console useful for debugging. It can be run by typing
        'lg' in the Alt+F2 prompt and can then be exited by pressing
        Esc. More details are here.

        Typing 'r' or 'restart' in the Alt+F2 prompt will restart GNOME
        Shell. This is useful when you are make changes to the GNOME
        Shell code while working within the GNOME Shell. You don't need
        to compile anything if you only changed JavaScript code, but you
        need to run compilation as you would normally do for C code
        before restarting.

        Typing 'rt' in the Alt+F2 prompt will reload the GNOME Shell
        theme. This is useful when you are a theme designer and want to
        test changes in your theme without restarting the whole shell.
        The theme file is share/gnome-shell/theme/gnome-shell.css.

        Typing 'debugexit' in the Alt+F2 prompt will quit GNOME Shell.
        This is generally only useful when you are running a development
        version of GNOME Shell which you started from the command line;
        in a normal GNOME 3 session, gnome-session will just restart
        GNOME Shell if you exit it.

But it does seem a bit annoying to have restarting as a side effect of a
stray 'r' in Console 2.  I suppose if you want a console, using Console
3 would get around the issue.

--
Matthew Saltzman
Clemson University Mathematical Sciences