Yum update/bug alert

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 22:59:30 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 3:49 PM, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 01/05/2012 02:32 PM, T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:
>>
>> Why?  You're*checking*  for updates, not actually installing them, so
>>
>> you shouldn't (and don't, yum will handle it just fine) need root
>> permissions.
>

> I've had yum complain when I've asked it to list something unless I do it as
> root.  Interesting that it will do this for a regular user.  Nice to know,
> if I ever need to check for updates from a CLI.

IIRC, they fixed this a few releases ago.  Nowadays, you can do
anything with yum that doesn't involve installation/removal/etc. as a
normal user.  One caveat, though:  it requires downloading a new copy
of the repository metadata, since for obvious reasons you don't want a
normal user to be touching the systemwide copy.

-T.C.