Openvpn under Fedora-16

Timothy Murphy gayleard at alice.it
Fri Jan 6 12:40:38 UTC 2012

Louis Lagendijk wrote:

>> I can start openvpn with
>> [tim at blanche ~]$ sudo systemctl start openvpn at client.service
>> (My openvpn config file is /etc/openvpn/client.conf ,
>> which I think is more or less standard.)
>>
>> But I don't know how to turn it on permanently, eg I get
>> [tim at blanche ~]$ sudo systemctl enable openvpn at client.service
>> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory

> Do you want to run as client or as server? Clients are run from
> NetworkManager (I am running openvpn under F16 that way).

Is this essential?

I'd much rather not involve NM, if that is possible.
I find openvpn much more reliable than NM, to put it mildly.
NM usually works for me, but on the occasions when it does not
it is a nightmare.
A recent addition to the NM farce is the appearance of a little window
in the middle of the screen, I think entitled "Secrets",
which asks me to enter a password but unfortunately rejects any input
(ie I cannot write in the space provided).
If I press on Cancel the window simply re-appears, endlessly.

In my view, the apparent decision to allow NM to play a central role
in communication in Fedora is a serious error.
I wish NM would concentrate on its primary task, namely to facilitate WiFi.

> And there is
> a /lib/systemd/system/openvpn at .service so you have to manually creeate
> a /etc/systemd/system/openvpn@<yourconfigname>.service and enable that.
> Have a look at the vncserver service file for some details

Thanks.
I'll certainly have a look.
But I'd have to say that while VNC is not in the same class of horror as NM,
I've always found it problematical to use,
particularly when looking at a Windows machine.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net