Can I install a 64-bit kernel on a F16 32-bit system

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 13:40:28 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 01:38 -0500, bruce wrote:
> are you saying you want a 32 bit and a  64 bit os to run side by side,
> ie to boot in one, and then the other, with different partitions?
>
> or are you asking to run a mix of 32/64 apps?
>
> can you clarify what you're looking to accomplish?

It sounds like what he's asking is whether he can install the 64-bit
kernel, but use only 32-bit userland apps (so the kernel is always
running in 32-bit compatibility mode).

My answer would be: This will probably work, but it's likely not going
to gain you anything that the 32-bit kernel with PAE cannot do.