Openvpn under Fedora-16

Louis Lagendijk louis at lagendijk.xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 6 14:21:01 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 13:40 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Louis Lagendijk wrote:
>
> >> I can start openvpn with
> >> [tim at blanche ~]$ sudo systemctl start openvpn at client.service
> >> (My openvpn config file is /etc/openvpn/client.conf ,
> >> which I think is more or less standard.)
> >>
> >> But I don't know how to turn it on permanently, eg I get
> >> [tim at blanche ~]$ sudo systemctl enable openvpn at client.service
> >> Failed to issue method call: No such file or directory
>
> > Do you want to run as client or as server? Clients are run from
> > NetworkManager (I am running openvpn under F16 that way).
>
> Is this essential?
>
> I'd much rather not involve NM, if that is possible.
> I find openvpn much more reliable than NM, to put it mildly.
> NM usually works for me, but on the occasions when it does not
> it is a nightmare.

well, I only use NM on my laptop and it works well there. On my desktop
with trunked vlans NM is useless.... So I normally still use the the
old /etc/init.d/network.

> > And there is
> > a /lib/systemd/system/openvpn at .service so you have to manually creeate
> > a /etc/systemd/system/openvpn@<yourconfigname>.service and enable that.
> > Have a look at the vncserver service file for some details
>
> Thanks.
> I'll certainly have a look.

Should work for a permanent client connection as well... It just starts
the openvpn session according to the config. But  I more or less assumed
an on demand client connection that is user managed.... and there NM
works ok.

> But I'd have to say that while VNC is not in the same class of horror as NM,
> I've always found it problematical to use,
> particularly when looking at a Windows machine.

:-)
NM simply assumes too much and thinks it knows better than I what I
need. I don't think we will ever become friends. But for this specific
case (an on demand openvpn connection on a laptop) it works great.
It even handled resolv.conf changes correctly. And well, VNC does not
seem to fit into the Xorg system. That makes it a pain sometimes