Can I install a 64-bit kernel on a F16 32-bit system

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Fri Jan 6 14:48:39 UTC 2012

On 06/01/12 03:59, John Wendel wrote:
> I just bought more memory for a box that has F16 32-bit installed. Can I
> install a 64-bit kernel and leave the userland 32-bit?
>
> Thanks,
>
> John

  The short answer as far as I know is NO!
  Unless you have 32bit applications that specifically require the 32bit
kernel I would suggest this is a bad idea that probably won't work or be
more trouble than it's worth.
  I'd recommend you install F16 64bit with 32bit application support.
This is already implemented and working, and by using backups you should
be able to do this relatively easily, (compared to your suggestion).
  If you do find a way of upgrading from f16 32bit to f16 64bit it would
be interesting to hear how you get on. But I've never heard of it being
available, or attempted.

regards

cpp4ever