Can I install a 64-bit kernel on a F16 32-bit system

Stephen Gallagher sgallagh at redhat.com
Fri Jan 6 14:56:26 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 14:23 +0000, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 06/01/12 13:40, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>

> > My answer would be: This will probably work, but it's likely not going
> > to gain you anything that the 32-bit kernel with PAE cannot do.
> >

> Would that depend on whether 4+ mb of ram?

PAE kernels can access up to 64GB of memory, though any individual
process can "see" only 2GB (IIRC).

But even in the original described approach (32-bit apps on 64-bit
kernel), because the apps are 32-bit, that will only be able to address
2GB anyway. If you have apps that need access to more RAM than that, you
should be running 64-bit apps, not 32-bit.