f16 - locked out again

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Fri Jan 6 18:10:23 UTC 2012

On 01/06/2012 12:35 PM, Ian Chapman wrote:
> On 01/07/2012 12:44 AM, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
>
>> But now my question is: does anyone
>> have a notebook with a sealed battery and if so, how do they recover
>> when nothing works? When you cannot switch to another console and the
>> power button does nothing? How do you force a boot if you can't pull all
>> power?
>
> In case you're not aware there's rarely a need to pull a battery on a
> laptop, in my experience anyway. Usually holding down the power button
> for 5 seconds or so is enough to hard power off a machine, but of
> course it should only be used as a last resort.

This has not been my experience.  I have been locked up and held the
button down for up to a minute with nothing happening.  In the end it
was battery pull time.  So far I have only done it once on this Lenovo
x120e.  The next time I will be sure to hold the button long enough to
test this.

Yes, it is always the last resort.