F16-X86_64-Live-KDE won't boot on XPS 17

Alan J. Gagne alanjgagne at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 23:17:18 UTC 2012

> I have a new Dell XPS17 laptop.  (i7, 16 GB RAM, nvidia 555 video
> device, Windows 7 installed)
>
> I am trying to run F16-x86_64-Live-KDE on it via a USB flash device.
>
> It find the USB device. grub(2) runs.  I can select the kernel.  It
> starts the boot process.
>
> It hangs with the following message:
>
> udevd[166]: /sbin/modprobe -bv pci: <snip> [168] terminated by signal 9 (Killed)
> dracut: starting plymouth daemon
>
> The same OS on the same USB flash device runs fine on my i5 server.

What video card are you using with the i5 server.

Not sure if this is your issue but I just did a lot of research before
buying a new 17" laptop and avoided systems with Nvidia video that had
the Optimus technology. Seems there is a lot of grief with running Linux
with those cards.

We have some systems at work with Ubuntu but, they have a mux switch to
turn off Optimus in the bios. Couldn't find out if the XPS17 had this
option.

Alan