F16-X86_64-Live-KDE won't boot on XPS 17

Alan J. Gagne alanjgagne at gmail.com
Sat Jan 7 00:14:44 UTC 2012

> Thanks for the reply.
>
> The laptop has the 3D screen and does NOT have the optimus card.
>
> As far as I know, its a plain "NVIDIA GeForce GT 555M 3GB" graphics card.
>
> How could I run lspci prior to booting to find out ?
>
> With grub2, is there a way to force a graphical boot that wouldn't
> invoke the error I'm seeing ?
>
> I am going to be really peeved if I can't run Linux on the XPS17.  I
> ran Windows 7 for an hour and it sucks !  How an OS can run so slow on
> an i7 with 16 GB of RAM is beyond me.

Might want to check this out.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-geforce-gt-555m-us.html

GeForce GT 555M
Outstanding DX11 graphics performance and long battery life with NVIDIA®
Optimus™ technology.

Try booting a rescue disk to check hardware out(lspci).

Again check your bios to see if you can disable Optimus.

There are some efforts out there to make this work with Linux.
I think bumblebee might be getting close to working or is.

Alan