Neal Becker Software Package..?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sat Jan 7 14:12:24 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-06 at 20:48 +0100, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:
> Forums, when implemented properly, are superior to any kind of mailing
> list.

Haven't seen one, yet...  ;-p

Yes, they have the potential for archiving and search, but having to go
to them, instead of messages coming to you, makes them vastly inferior
for many people.  I'm certainly not going to log onto half a dozen, or
more, webforums, nightly, to keep track of things that I easily do with
mailing lists.

*Different*, yes.  Lots of potential features, yes.  Superior, *no*.

I'd argue, out of the lot of mailing lists, newsgroups, and webforums,
that newsgroups are the superior.  They are an archive.  You can search
them, for old and current messages.  Getting a list of messages, without
having to get the message bodies, is fast.  You can keep/cache what you
want.  You can purge.  You have all sorts of filtering options.  You
don't have to expose an email address.  They do threading properly.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.