Neal Becker Software Package..?

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 8 00:20:34 UTC 2012

On 2012/01/07 15:49, Reindl Harald wrote:

> Am 08.01.2012 00:47, schrieb Joe Zeff:
>> On 01/07/2012 03:38 PM, Claude Jones wrote:
>>> workflows can be highly dedicated, specific, and unique - one size
>>> doesn't fit all
>>
>> ...and for some of us, fora fit better than email
>
> boah that was not the point
>
> you are hanging on the single word "login" and do
> not realize the whole time that this was never the
> point of the post you answered
>
> what is your problem?

Relax Reindl. I think that issue has been dealt with. Overall the aim for
an information exchange system needs to be carefully defined. Then you must
examine the resources likely to be expended on "maintaining" it. After that
is done you can examine the mailing list and all the different forum concepts
to figure out which has a better chance of meeting the objective. After that
you decide which to use.

This mailing list is heavily oriented towards peer to peer help. Messages are
more likely to be read by many people and answered by those who can on a
mailing list than on a forum. If you're doing customer support for a company
then a forum is likely to be good. It can be (sort of) searched to see if your
problem has been settled before. If not you ask a question and a vendor rep
answers it. It's good for customers and likely a pain for the support staff.

I also note that I feel there is room for another approach to be developed
that is different from news groups, mailing lists, or fora.

In all senses, however, YMMV. To support my assertions I do cite over 25
years of online experience with long periods working with various tools.

{o.o}   (And thanks for posting your iptables tips. I need a rount tuit to
         to start experimenting with them. I'd have never run across it on
         the average forum interface.)