Further annoyances with F16

Paolo Galtieri pgaltieri at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 01:48:32 UTC 2012

I installed gnome-tweak-tool so I could fix mouse behavior.  When I select
Applications->Accessories->Advanced Settings and then choose Desktop it
shows the following:

Have file manager handle the desktop      off
Computer Icon visible on desktop             on
Home icon visible on desktop                   on
Network Servers icon visible on desktop   off
Trash icon visible on desktop                   on
Show mounted volumes on the desktop     on

I logout and login again and nothing shows up on the desktop.  Even if I
drag an application from the menu to the desktop it doesn't show up.  I can
drag an application from the menu to the top panel but only there.  In F14
I could choose either the panel or the desktop.

So is there a way to get stuff to show up on the desktop?

Also in F14 after I select which user id I want to login as I can choose
which windowing environment I want, e.g. I can select Gnome, KDE etc.  This
no longer seems to be an option.   Does this option exist in F16?  If so
how do I set it up?

Regarding languages there is an issue.  I configured the language to be
Italian.  However, the only thing that is displayed in Italian is the date
and the text that is displayed when you mouse over the date.  All the menus
and other text is still in English.  For example the top menu items are
still Applications and Places, and if you mouse over these items the text
still shows up in English.  Also there is no easy way to go back to
English.  In F14 there is a panel that shows up at the bottom of the login
screen that allows me to select a language prior to logging in.  This
option does not exist in F16.  As it stands now I have to go into
Applications->Other->Language, enter the root password, then select the
language.  Why do I need to enter the root password to change the language
for my user id?

Paolo