ifcfg-em1 ?

Jeffrey Ross jeff at bubble.org
Mon Jan 9 03:05:25 UTC 2012

On 01/08/2012 09:51 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 10:41 AM, Jeffrey Ross wrote:
>> I was in the process of working on a F16 system (upgraded from a F15
>> system) and had moved it to a new network temporarily and had adjusted
>> the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-em1 file from the console
>> prior to shutting down the system so that it would be all set with the
>> new address, gateway etc when it was restarted.
>>
>> upon completion of the work I modified the ifcfg-em1 with the
>> new/final IP address information prior to the shutdown.  I was doing
>> this across a network (ssh) session and as soon as I saved the file I
>> lost all connectivity to the machine.  I logged into the console and
>> found no IP address information on the em1 interface, didn't think too
>> much of it since it needed to be restarted anyway and moved it to it
>> final network location.
>>
>> After it was in place I noticed that I needed to correct the entries
>> for DNS to point to itself since it is running a nameserver, no other
>> changes were made to the file except to adjust "DNS1=..." saved the
>> file and again I loose network connectivity with no IP information on
>> the em1 interface.
>>
>> Question is, what is monitoring this file that causes a loss of
>> connectivity like this?  I am looking to simply have a static entry on
>> the interface and my simple ifcfg-em1 file is as follows:
>>
>> Thanks,Jeff
>>
>> DEVICE=em1
>> HWADDR=00:E0:81:34:85:C2
>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>> ONBOOT=yes
>> TYPE=Ethernet
>> USERCTL=no
>> #
>> BOOTPROTO=none
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.240
>> IPADDR=192.168.10.34
>> PREFIX=28
>> DOMAIN=domain.org
>> NAME="System em1"
>> IPV6INIT=yes
>> NM_CONTROLLED=no
>> GATEWAY=192.168.10.33
>> DNS1=192.168.10.34
>> MTU=1500
>> PEERDNS=yes
>>

> You have NM_CONTROLLED=no.  So, assuming you are not using Network
> Manager, have you disabled NetworkManager.service and enabled
> network.service?

That very well may have been it, I just issued the following:

[root at host etc]# chkconfig network on
[root at host etc]# chkconfig NetworkManager off
Note: Forwarding request to 'systemctl disable NetworkManager.service'.
rm '/etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service'
rm '/etc/systemd/system/dbus-org.freedesktop.NetworkManager.service'
[root at host etc]# service NetworkManager stop
Redirecting to /bin/systemctl  stop NetworkManager.service
[root at host etc]#
[root at host etc]#
[root at host etc]# service network start
Starting network (via systemctl):                          [  OK  ]
[root at host etc]#

since I don't feel like taking ride over to the datacenter I'm going to
leave the ifcfg-em1 file alone until I have time to test it.

Thanks!
Jeff