WinVista64 can see folders but not files on SAMBA.

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 9 08:28:02 UTC 2012

On 11:59, Lucélio Gomes de Freitas wrote:
> HI jdow,
>
> Thanks for your reply,
>
> Em 08-01-2012 16:06, jdow escreveu:
>> On 2012/01/08 15:58, Lucélio Gomes de Freitas wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Ref: 3.1.6-1.fc16.x86_64 native with VirtualBox-OSE.x86_64.
>>>
>>> A virtual machine(VirtualBox->WinVista64) can see folders but not files
>>> on the SAMBA's referenced Linux.
>>>
>>> Help with permission.
>>>
>>> Thx.
>>>
>>> - --
>>> Lucélio Gomes de Freitas
>> Have you checked for SELinux possibly blocking access? There is a boolean
>> that must be set for proper sharing.
> OK, I hadn't done it yet.  So I did:
>
> $ "man samba_selinux" And got/did:
>
> $ sudo semanage fcontext -a -t samba_share_t "/var/eng(/.*)?"
> $ sudo restorecon -R -v /var/eng/
>> How did you setup your SAMBA shares?
>>
>> Are the directories you want to look at executable for the user ID trying
>> to look at the files?
> I've liberated all known permissions. Why I can't see files(.txt, .exe)
> from WinVista64, and I can see all folders and sub-folders, but I can't
> write on them.
> [Lucelio at MAQ01 ~]$ pwd
> /home/Lucelio
> [Lucelio at MAQ01 ~]$ cd ../Windows
> [Lucelio at MAQ01 Windows]$ ls -l
> total 23752
> drwxrwxrwx. 6 Lucelio GRUPO01     4096 Dez 21 16:22 Antiga Maq01(Tânia
> Disco F)  ##I can see this
> -rwxrwxrwx. 1 Lucelio GRUPO01 24312056 Dez 21 16:34
> AP48.exe                            ##I can't see this
> -rw-rw-rw-. 1 Lucelio GRUPO01       17 Jan  8 08:54 Teste de texto
>                                ##I can't see this
> [Lucelio at MAQ01 Windows]$
> Is there a graphics tool for setting selinux?
>
> Is it necessary to reboot?
>
> Any other suggestion please?
>
> Thanks again.

Writing may be limited by the settings in your samba configuration files.

Now, are you trying to look at the Vista directories or look at the Linux
directories from Vista? Vista security is something you probably do not
want to muck with. You have to setup the share correctly on Vista before
you can see the files in folders IF the samba user you declared for getting
into the Vista machine can see see the files. If you came in to the vista
machine via samba as a guest, "Good luck, Kemo Sabe." You have to come in
as a legitimate user on the Windows machine when samba asks for username
and password.

If you are trying to go from Vista to Linux many of the same problems exist.
You have to come into the shared Linux directories as a legitimate user on
the Linux machine, unless you allowed anonymous access. If the root account
mounted the /home/Windows folder then a user is not going to be able to do
much with it due to the permission settings that appear. "ls -ld /home/Windows"
might tell you something about that. Who owns it? What are its settings? These
are to some degree configured in samba configuration files in /etc. You have
some intense reading to perform, I fear. (The GUI SAMBA configuration tool
never seemed to work right for me on SL6.1, which is essentially RHEL 6.1.)

{^_^}