converting base64 emails back to text

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 10 05:26:03 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 12:54 PM, John Wendel wrote:
> On 01/09/2012 03:14 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
>> On 01/10/2012 06:06 AM, g wrote:
>>> greetings,
>>>
>>> now that fedora project has started sending emails as;

>>> is there a way to convert emails back to text so that local
>>> searching of
>>> emails can be done?
>>>
>>> searching on "Subject:" seldom provides a means to find what a post is
>>> actually about.
>> You may have to do some splitting of the message to separate the encoded
>> parts...  But the encoded parts can always be un-encoded using something
>> like the perl MIME::Base64 module.  That module is not part of the
>> distro, but could be gotten from CPAN.
>>
>> I've not looked at what they do since I've not had a need, but you can
>> also investigate these that do come with as part of the distro.
>>
>> perl-Email-MIME
>> perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper
>> perl-Email-MIME-ContentType
>> perl-Email-MIME-Encodings
>>

> "man base64" should get you going. It's a little easier than the perl
> stuff.

It may be easier, where easier is a relative term, but it may not be as
flexible in the overall scheme.  I get the feeling the OP may want to
re-assemble the messages into email format such that 2 copies of the
message need not exist.  Without doing more work, something like
perl-Email-MIME would facilitate that or maybe even
perl-Email-MIME-Attachment-Stripper?

It sounds like a fun project and then an interesting procmail recipe
experiment.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless