HDMI Frustration

Temlakos temlakos at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 20:19:15 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 02:37 PM, Fedora User wrote:
> The first time that I plugged my laptop into my HD TV, KDE (I guess it
> was KDE) provided a pop-up to configure the second monitor. It
> correctly identified it at 1920 x 1080. For some reason, my primary
> monitor also adapted to the TV setting and great portions of my desktop
> were off the margins. I could not get the sound to work.
>
> Last night I tried again. The good news is that I got HDMI digital
> sound to work. However, I could only configure the TV to 1024 x 768.
> Upon doing so my laptop screen adapted and my desktop was all scrunched
> together.
>
> This brings up two questions:
>
> 1. Why do the setting of a second monitor affect the settings of my
> primary monitor and;
>
> 2. What is preventing me from setting my second monitor to its native
> resolution of 1920x1080 (something that I successfully did in the past)?
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I notice that myself: a second monitor overrides the settings of the
primary. When I go out to make a presentation, my laptop adapts itself
to the resolution and aspect ratio of the projector that I plug in to
the auxiliary monitor jack. This helps, so that I know that I'm going to
fill whatever "screen" they give me to fill.

Now then: it sounds as though your second-monitor routine is assuming,
incorrectly, that your second monitor is a standard-definition
television set. You want to configure it as a /high/-definition
television set. Correct?

My experience is not all that great, but I have to tell you: I never was
able to alter the second-monitor setting.

Terry A. Hurlbut