F16 changes

Michael Hennebry hennebry at web.cs.ndsu.nodak.edu
Wed Jan 11 02:32:55 UTC 2012

As my current installation is EOL,
there are things I would like to know before trying to install F16.
For me, installation has always been a struggle.
I approach new requirements with increased fear and trepidation.
I don't do upgrades.
It seems to me that an upgrade must be more complicated than
a straight install and I have enough trouble with that.

F16 seems to want GPT for disk partitioning.
What I have now works just fine.
Is GPT mandatory?
Assuming it is, under what conditions will a new partition be required?
My preference is not to mess with existing partitions.
I'm hoping GPT will not force me to.
Would changing to GPT pretty much guarantee stomping on my first partition?

The new lower limit of 1000 for normal user and group IDs is another issue.
The current user has IDs 500 and has rather
a lot of files that I want to keep.
Fedora's documentation says to use a kickstart file to keep 500.
Alas, my floppy drive no longer works.
Even if it did, I would not expect my first
hand-made kickstart file to work.
Is there a way to change the configuration
file before adding the first user?
Is there a reason that anaconda does not simply ask for the limits?

If I am feeling brave, I might try to install from hard disk.
Apparently, one can boot from a minimal CD
and point anaconda at an iso image.
Is this correct?
anaconda apparently only wants the name of the directory.
Does that mean that the DVD's iso image should
be the only file in the directory?
I see occasional references to images.
What are they for and how do they not mess up the finding of the DVD image?

Note that one reason for my frequent frustation
is that I have only one computer.
I cannot query the internet while running anaconda.
It seems to me that absent conflicts, there is no particular
reason one could not perform an installation from a running setup.

whom I teach not to run with scissors,
that my fiance ran me through with a broadsword."  --  Lily