F16 changes

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Wed Jan 11 12:25:20 UTC 2012

Michael Hennebry wrote:

> As my current installation is EOL,
> there are things I would like to know before trying to install F16.
> For me, installation has always been a struggle.
> I approach new requirements with increased fear and trepidation.
> I don't do upgrades.
> It seems to me that an upgrade must be more complicated than
> a straight install and I have enough trouble with that.

I agree.
In particular, following the preupgrade method is a recipe for disaster.

But I think there is a third course,
which is to install the new system on a different partition,
keeping the old one as it is.
In my experience there is a non-negligible probability,
probably around 25%, that the new installation will not work,
perhaps for some reason concerned with one's particular hardware.
It makes life much easier if you have a working system to fall back on.

There are some minor problems in this, in particular the new user UIDs
(starting at 1000) in Fedora-16.
But this is not too difficult to deal with, in various ways.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net