Fedora 16 instabilities

Timothy Davis cpuobsessed at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 20:31:48 UTC 2012

On 01/11/2012 03:26 PM, Jesse Palser wrote:
> There is always Microsoft(R) Windows(R)
>
> I ran Linux for about two years natively on my main desktop.
> (first was Linux Mint, then Ubuntu, then Xubuntu after the switch to
> Unity Desktop)
>
> Been running Windows(R) 7 Home Premium 64Bit for almost a year with
> zero problems.
> Its really not that bad anymore...
>
> Jesse
>

> On 1/11/2012 3:00 PM, David A. De Graaf wrote:
>> Here's why Fedora 16 isn't ready for prime time.
>> Many of these have been BZ'd, without effect.
>>
>> - I won't even discuss the gnome3 controversy.  I've used xfce for
>>    many years and am very happy with it.
>>
>> - The worst aspect of Fedora 16 is it has made computing a stochastic
>>    process.  Instead of the rock-solid behaviour of previous releases,
>>    Fedora 16 behaves randomly.
>>
>> - On two laptops with encrypted disks, when booting, one asks for the
>>    passphrase once; the other twice.  The second request can only be
>>    seen if rhgb is removed from the kernel boot line, and you watch the
>>    systemd spewage carefully.
>>
>> - The command 'reboot' typed in an X terminal emulator, sometimes
>>    works; but often hangs the machine, requiring pressing reset.
>>
>> - Shutdown takes much too long, and often fails completely, like
>>    reboot.  This is quite annoying, especially with laptops.
>>
>> - The 'df' command has been rendered nearly useless due to the
>>    voluminous extraneous output.
>>
>> - The mount command, which was once useful, isn't any more.  It's
>>    simply unreadable.
>>
>> - The systemd system has replaced the simple and easily understood
>>    sysv init system with a jumbled mess.  The output during boot is
>>    scrambled and the terminology is grossly verbose and confusing.
>>    It may be a tiny bit quicker to boot on a multicore machine, but the
>>    loss of comprehensibility and reliability is much too high a price.
>>
>> - The systemd alternative to editing /etc/inittab with runlevel = 3
>>    is grotesque.
>>
>> - /var/log/boot.log is empty, sometimes.  When it is written, it
>>    contains no dates.
>>
>> - If 'startxfce4' is used at a console prompt to start an xfce session,
>>    root windows have $DISPLAY undefined, and cannot run privileged
>>    programs.  Critical tabs in various windows (shutdown, nm-applet
>>    editing, etc.) are greyed out.  A workaround is to create
>> $HOME/.xinitrc
>>    with this cryptic line:
>>      ck-launch-session dbus-launch --sh-syntax --exit-with-session
>> startxfce4
>>    and then use 'startx', as if starting gnome.   :-(
>>
>> - grub2 fails to correctly initialize /boot/grub2/grub.cnf when older
>>    kernel objects are present in /boot, and alternate root partitions
>>    exist.
>>
>> - grub2 sometimes sets the default kernel to an older one; sometimes
>>    to the newest one.
>>
>> - Changing UID's to start at 1000 instead of 500 is just annoying.

> [...]
I've linux for years now, multi boot with other distros and win*
I rather like Gnome 3 and KDE4, I haven't any of the issues you stated
with one exception and
that is with my wife's printer (Canon MP560). Bootup and shutdown are
quicker than ever (faster than win7).  I noticed you didn't state your
machine specs
Mine: Athlon FX-60, 2Gb DDR, 2 IDE & 2 SATA hard drives, GeForce 8500GT

--
Fedora, Ubuntu, Mint and Slackware user
Linux counter #386175