converting base64 emails back to text

g geleem at bellsouth.net
Thu Jan 12 04:57:33 UTC 2012

On 01/10/2012 06:30 AM, Ed Greshko wrote:
> On 01/10/2012 02:07 PM, g wrote:
>> so, consider this post as warning of future post. 8-D
>
> I'm pretty sure I know what you want....
>
> You want a pre-processor to take incoming emails that are in encoded in
> base64 and un-encode it before storage in the mailbox.
-=-

correct.

> I don't know of any utility that currently exists that does that.  Which
> is why I suggested you may, probably, will have to write your own
> utility/pre-processor.  My reference to procmail was not to say that
> "procmail" itself had any capabilities in that area but that it would be
> the natural vehicle to call the pre-processor if you are running the
> mail server.  How the pre-processor would be dependent on how you access
> email.
-=-

i understand you suggestion of using "procmail". i played with it back
in 90's, to convert waste of html. it was not a successful adventure, so
i gave up on it.

now, amount of 'sugar' gained for 'dimes' spent, just does not justify
relearning operation of 'procmail' and trial and error to get it right.

what i believe i will do is check procmail.org to see if there may be
something already working. tho, with my luck, i doubt that i will find
what i want.

if not, i will try google one more time with some new search params, tho
i doubt that will help, considering what all i tried for over an hour
before i gave up and posted to list.

> I've not searched for any existing utility since I keep all of my emails
> on an imap server and text based searches from email clients work just
> fine as the un-encoding is done behind the scenes and I've never found
> the need to directly search my messagestore with external tools.
-=-

having your own mail server running is an advantage that i have not seen
great need for, considering what all i would have to go thru to set it
up and then maintain it.

as for running web searches, google is just an out and out waste because
even when using 'advanced mode', it is still lacking in ability to
refine search params to narrow hits.

if i had time and finances, i would create a web search site that worked
strictly with algebraic and boolean expressions.

it is looking more and more like i will be posting with questions
when i can not find what i am looking for in "Subject:".

there are many other 'irons in fire' that have a higher priority.

i do thank you for your time in replying.

--

peace out.

tc.hago,

.

*please reply "plain text" only. "html text" are deleted*

****
**
**
**