Printer detection in Fedora

Tim Waugh twaugh at redhat.com
Thu Jan 12 11:47:04 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 22:09 -0500, fred smith wrote:
> here's the result of lpinfo -l -v on linux mint 12. I see it actually
> identified several ways to access the brother printer. It doesn't,
> however, seem to have figured out that the printer also supports ipp
> (unless maybe I don't know how to interpret this info...), which is the
> way I usually configure it when doing a manual config:

In fact it has identified IPP, using DNS-SD as the discovery mechanism.

Here's the JetDirect interface, discovered using DNS-SD:

>	Device: uri = dnssd://Brother%20HL-2070N%20series._pdl-datastream._tcp.local/
> 		class = network
> 		info = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		make-and-model = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		device-id = MFG:Brother;MDL:HL-2070N series;
> 		location =

Here's the LPD interface, discovered using DNS-SD:

> 	Device: uri = dnssd://Brother%20HL-2070N%20series._printer._tcp.local/
> 		class = network
> 		info = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		make-and-model = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		device-id = MFG:Brother;MDL:HL-2070N series;
> 		location =

This is the IPP interface, discovered using DNS-SD:

>	Device: uri = dnssd://Brother%20HL-2070N%20series._ipp._tcp.local/
> 		class = network
> 		info = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		make-and-model = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		device-id = MFG:Brother;MDL:HL-2070N series;
> 		location =

This is the LPD interface, discovered from an SNMP response I would
guess (judging from the fact that it comes with a Device ID and
make-and-model info -- and that the hostname looks weird):

>	Device: uri = lpd://BRN_8A1FC9/BINARY_P1
> 		class = network
> 		info = Brother HL-2070N series
> 		make-and-model = Brother HP LaserJet 4050 Series
> 		device-id = MANUFACTURER:Brother;COMMAND SET:PJL,MLC,PCL,PCLXL;MODEL:HP LaserJet 4050 Series;CLASS:PRINTER;COMMENT:The model name HP LaserJet 4050 Series is used only for compatibility information for HP printer
> 		location =

If this discovery is not working for you in Fedora, it is likely that
the default firewall is the reason.  In order to receive DNS-SD
Also: make sure you have the avahi service installed and running.

For SNMP broadcast query responses there is unfortunately no way to
configure the firewall in order to allow these, short of disabling it.

Tim.
*/