Fedora 16 instabilities

Roger K. Wells ROGER.K.WELLS at saic.com
Thu Jan 12 14:19:37 UTC 2012

On 01/11/2012 06:41 PM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> The only real problems I've had with f16 is the one recently
> discussed in another thread about the kernel problem with
> heavy disk I/O from one process bogging down everything
> else on the system. I was using mencoder the other day to
> convert a .wmv file to a big .avi file for simpler editing,
> and while writing the .avi everything on my system turned into
> a useless lump.
I have seen this as well:

  * Thinkpad x220, fresh install of fedora 16 (3.1.7-1.fc16.x86_64)
  * 95 Gb tar file on a USB connected HDD
  * tar xvf "tarfile" where target location is also on the USB HDD
  * during operation mouse is responsive, but try to change focus or
    move a window and it takes many seconds
  * CPU load on all cores is negligible during operation, but system is
    unuseable
  * when operation completes system returns to normal responsiveness.

HTH

--
Roger Wells, P.E.
SAIC