no internet connection with Fedora16

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 15:39:38 UTC 2012

On 12/01/12 7:07 AM, Tim wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-01-11 at 10:13 -0430, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:
>> Note that you also need to configure NM to manage your interface,
>> otherwise NM will report it as offline even when it's online
>
> Don't you mean deliberately configure network manager to be NOT managing
> an interface that it doesn't actually manage?
>
> If it's currently configured, even if not used, to say that network
> manager handles eth0, for example, then if network manager hasn't
> brought up eth0, network manager will say that eth0 is down, no matter
> what the real status of eth0 is (as network manager's statuses are
> notifications of what *it* has done, rather than what the interface's
> real status is), and regardless of whether network manager is suppose to
> be running or not.
>
> On the other hand, if network manager is configured to not manage eth0,
> then any query about its status shouldn't return an answer.
>
> At least, that's been my prior experience with avoiding network manager
> on one machine.

My (limited) understanding of NM is that it expects to manage all
interfaces, and if there's an interface it doesn't manage then that
interface has been disabled for some reason. In any case, the failing
apps (Firefox, Evolution, ...) simply ask NM and believe what it says,
and if NM doesn't manage the interface it's going to say that it's down,
no matter what the reality is.

poc