no internet connection with Fedora16

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Fri Jan 13 14:26:41 UTC 2012

T.C. Hollingsworth wrote:

>> Personally, I think NM tries to do too much;
>> I would much prefer an application that just dealt with WiFi.
>
> Really, wired connections require absolutely nothing extra that
> NetworkManager wouldn't have to deal with for wifi connections, so why
> not let it handle wired connections too?

I've never, ever had any problem with an ethernet connection
when not running NM.
I've never had any problem with an ethernet connection on a laptop
whether running NM or not.
I have had problems on a server with only ethernet connections
when running NM, so I always switch it off on servers.

In other words, NM has never helped me with an ethernet connection;
and it has hindered me on a small number of occasions.
The same is also true of Bluetooth and mobile phone dongles;
NM has never helped and has sometimes hindered.

That's why I wish NM would stick to WiFi.

"A program should do one thing, and do it well", Ken Thompson.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net