OT: How much RAM should I get in a new laptop ?

Robert P. J. Day rpjday at crashcourse.ca
Fri Jan 13 15:05:53 UTC 2012

On Fri, 13 Jan 2012, Christopher Svanefalk wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 30, 2011 at 8:18 PM, linux guy <linuxguy123 at gmail.com> wrote:
>       Update.
>
>       After a bunch of order tuning, I ordered my XPS 17 with the 3D screen
>       (which got me 4 DIMM slots) and 16GB of RAM.  Yes, 16 GB.  I don't
>       feel I need that much right now, but as a package, it was cheap to add
>       it.
>
>       Not to advertise for Dell, but the complete system (i7, BD player, 16
>       GB, 3D screen, no 3d glasses, backlit keyboard, high end video card,
>       BT 3) for just under $1300.
>
>       Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with Dell.  This will be my first
>       Dell laptop, other than the Duo I already own.
>       --
>

> 1300 for that whole package??? Man you Americans are lucky.

  i went thru the same exercise a couple months back, and got a
high-end ASUS.  more RAM is always better, and i discovered that the
model i wanted came with only(!) 12G RAM but had only 3/4 slots
filled, so for an extra $29, i bought another 4G on the spot and had
their service dept open the box, open up the laptop, and put it in for
me.  that was a noticeably cheaper alternative than going up to the
next model that advertised itself as having 16G, but had more features
i didn't need.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca