Grub2 fails to install to the MBR of /dev/sdb

Lester M Petrie lmpetrie at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 14 00:29:11 UTC 2012

On 01/13/2012 05:06 PM, Itamar Reis Peixoto wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Greg Woods<woods at ucar.edu>  wrote:
>> On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 16:43 -0500, Lester M Petrie wrote:
>>
>>> Number  Start   End     Size    Type      File system     Flags
>>>    3      32.3kB  526MB   526MB   primary   ext4            boot
>>
>> Doesn't prove I'm right, but it's another data point. My laptop that
>> doesn't allow me to update grub2 configuration also has a start at
>> 32.3kB like yours. The workstation that works starts at 1049kB.
>> Hopefully someone can confirm that my theory (that more room at the
>> beginning of the disk prior to the start of the first partition) is
>> needed in order for grub2-install to work or grub2-mkconfig to have any
>> effect) before I go through all the work of dumping, repartitioning, and
>> restoring.
>>
>> --Greg
>>

> yes, you need to leave 1MB free at begin of the disk
>
> this means 2048 sectors x 512 kb (2048*512)
>

> ------------
>
> Itamar Reis Peixoto
> msn, google talk: itamar at ispbrasil.com.br
> +55 11 4063 5033 (FIXO SP)
> +55 34 9158 9329 (TIM)
> +55 34 8806 3989 (OI)
> +55 34 3221 8599 (FIXO MG)

That partition is the /boot partition, and its 526MB.  How feasible
would it be to backup /boot, reboot the install DVD in rescue mode,
delete and recreate the partition leaving the 1MB at the beginning, and
then restore the backed up partition?  What would be the best program to
use for the repartitioning?  Some time ago I did some repartitioning
using sfdisk, and it wasn't very pleasant, although I can probably work
out what I need to use that.

--
Lester M Petrie