Grub2 fails to install to the MBR of /dev/sdb

Greg Woods woods at ucar.edu
Sat Jan 14 02:32:50 UTC 2012

On Fri, 2012-01-13 at 17:10 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:

>  Boot from a gparted LiveCD, shrink
> the next partition slightly and move /boot enough to leave at least 1MB
> free at the beginning.

I had read somewhere that you can only shrink partitions from the top
end. Was I wrong? That would be a lot easier than the dump/restore I had
been planning, similar to what Lester described. Although I would still
have to do the dump part anyway since I would never undertake something
like this without a backup, and the /boot partition is small enough that
a restore won't take that long.

--Greg