Moodle on Fedora 16

Roger arelem at bigpond.com
Sat Jan 14 09:37:14 UTC 2012

> Thank you Daniel, Roger and Edik. I will try your suggestions as soon
> as I can.
>
> Regarding the "cutting edge thing", this is just my desktop machine,
> and I love Fedora. The production server will be somewhere else and
> will not be managed by me (it's a government training project). And
> surely it won't be Fedora, they have very competent people there to
> take care of it (most surely Red Hat server but it is not my
> decision). I only have a development site so I can work locally on
> developing the materials, so that when production is set up, we will
> already know what works for the project and what not (I mean for the
> training).
>
> I'll let you know how it goes.
> Ester

Trouble is one can spend a lot of time fixing cutting edge OSes, time
that may be better spent on dev work. Been There, Done That. Was going
to try F16 on my home pc but the list discussions have kyboshed that
because I haven't got the time to play nowadays. Flat out developing
Drupal Multi sites for a nonprofit organisation.
> CentOS is, very stable Fedora. I truly reccomend using it rather than
> cutting edge apps for development work.
> I've got Fedora 14, it's smooth and trouble free but as it is now
> unsupported am moving to CentOS soon. I use CentOS on the server and
> because I know Fedora it's home territory.
> It also has the advantage that, because it's so familiar, it's easy to
> use Virtualbox, VmWare or similar to set up other Osses like F16,
> Ubuntu. windows, etc to play with and you won't break your workbench apps.
> You can use xfce or any GUI desktop that suits your needs.

As an aside, My daughter developed a Moodle site for a school project
and wants her school to move to Moodle but they are fixated on something
called a VLA, which is not a patch on Moodle and has few if any of
Moodle's capabilities.
Please let us know how you are progressing.
Roger