[Package] Skype x86_64 RPM for Fedora

Manuel Escudero Jmlevick at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 19:40:51 UTC 2012

2012/1/14 Mohamed El Morabity <pikachu.2014 at gmail.com>

> This is not a "real" 64-bit version of Skype, it's just a Debian
> package converted to RPM using alien:
>
> $ rpm -qip skype-2.2.0.35-2.x86_64.rpm
> Name        : skype
> [...]
> (Converted from a deb package by alien version 8.85.)
>
> The Debian package itself only embeds the only available 32-bit
> version of Skype with some packaging tricks to make easier its
> installation on a 64-bit Debian.
>
> By the way, this RPM wouldn't work if prelink is installed (this is
> the case in a default Fedora installation): prelink modifies binaries
> to fast up their execution. But the skype executable has a internal
> routine to check if it was modified; in such a case, it won't launch.
> You RPM doesn't contain any conf. file to avoid prelink from touching
> the skype executable.
>
> At last, did you get the permission from Skype to redistribute their
> binaries?
>
> For all these reasons, I'd avoid this strange RPM like the plague...
> --

@Mohamed:

Hi there! how are you today? very angry I suppose... hahaha

Well, first: Yes, I used alien to convert the 64Bit debian package
into a 64 Bit RPM Package, (as I can't really recompile Skype without
the source) And that's why I didn't use the word "compile" on my announce,
If I had compiled it on a 64Bit machine, that would be illegal, but as I
just used
alien without touching the actual contents of the 64 bit deb package then we
have a win/win situation: We have a functional RPM for fedora and Skype
team
can rest easy without being worried ;)

second: if the package needs prelink as you said and it comes for default
in Fedora, I don't see any problems there, the package installs, runs and
it does everything very well without needing the 32bit additional libraries,
then why get picky about if it uses prelink or not? O,o I don't see your
point,
while the package works for a user, everything is okey, as it is only
intended to
work for users and not for "rude packagers" like you.

If you don't like it, then DON'T USE IT!! hahaha problem solved.

Thanks for your feedback.

--
Manuel Escudero
Linux User #509052