F16: how to use MTP to transfer to Android Galaxy Nexus

Swapnil Bhartiya swapnil.bhartiya at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 22:15:26 UTC 2012

> On Sat, 2012-01-14 at 14:06 -0800, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 01/14/2012 01:49 PM, Swapnil Bhartiya wrote:
>>> MTP is broken under GNU/Linux. I filed bug reports with the project but
>>> nothing happening there. You can use web-based apps to transfer data
>>> between the two devices. You don't need to install anything on your
>>> Linux box.
>>>
>>> http://www.muktware.com/articles/3115/how-connect-your-android-device-linux-ubuntu-opensuse
>>>

>> Thank you for telling me why I don't want to get an Android.  The only
>> way I can get WiFi at home is by connecting to some neighbor's unsecured
>> hotspot, which I don't like doing, and without WiFi this trick doesn't
>> work.  Of course, if I did have proper WiFi access, I'd feel
>> differently.  It's good to know that there's a way to swap files with an
>> Android under Linux, even if it's not practical for me.
>
> AFAIK (I don't have any Android devices) the restriction to MTP is only
> for some recent smartphones, notable the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (not the
> "Android Galaxy Nexus" as the OP has it). Others can be connected as
> disk drives.

Android 3.x and after (4.0) dropped mass storage support and uses MTP so
every device which is running 3.x or 4.x uses MTP. Yes, if it also has a
SD card that the SD card can be mounted as mass storage. MTP has
advantage as there is no restriction on how much storage to be reserved
for application thus allowing one to install as many applications as she
wants.

Since Android 4.x is going to be the OS installed on all Android devices
it is a big challenge for Linux distros.

Swapnil
PS: How about starting a petition asking Google to release a Linux
client for Android 4.x???