Samsung printer won't print

mike cloaked mike.cloaked at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 10:57:42 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Jim <binarynut at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 01/14/2012 11:29 AM, mike cloaked wrote:

>>> Oh, do you use the Fedora splix package, or rpmfusion?
>>>
>>> If the Fedora one, it would be useful to add the Device ID of your
>>> printer model to it so that the printer can be automatically configured
>>> when attached.
>>>
>> splix-2.0.1-0.3.20111121svn.fc16.x86_64
>>
>> Mine does auto configure - it is the Samsung scx4500W - and both the
>> print and scan works without issue in f16 - originally there was the
>> scx4500 in the defs, but not the 4500w, but the innerds are the same
>> for the printing part, and adding the id to the config made it work in
>> f14 - but now the wireless model is already in there in the past year
>> or so. It is possible that although the OP has a printer that is not
>> in the splix support list that adding in the id at the appropriate
>> part of the config would allow it to work with the existing files?  It
>> would need to be tested of course!
>
> Mike where is this Splix Config file ?
> I have Splix installed.

The configs were before I used splix and can look up my old notes on
the issue.  However if you have a previously defined printer before
you installed the splix package the way I would proceed is to delete
the printer definition completely with the printer disconnected. Then
connect the printer and set it up anew, and define the driver as the
splix driver when you go through the setup.

If it works you are ready to roll.

If it can't find the printer and won't get it set up then it is worth
checking the configs.

I will dig out my notes later if you say that this fails to work.
--
mike c