Logitech MX Revolution Mouse Problems, wheel button

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sun Jan 15 16:05:45 UTC 2012

On 01/15/2012 10:37 AM, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 15 Jan 2012 10:19:14 -0500
> William M. Quarles wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know how I might go about fixing this issue more
>> permanently? If there is a bug report that should be filed on this, what
>> package should I report it against?
>
> Don't know what Gnome or KDE might be doing automatically, but with
> the xinput tool you can usually make anything happen,
> it just takes a while to figure out the arcane command
> syntax.

Heh, I just gave it a shot at the commandline, you'd think a program
that starts with 'x' would actually be X11-based program. You're right
it seems pretty arcane, you'd think with how far they've come with
interfaces at this point for Linux distributions that there would be a
better way of doing this.

Anyway, I tried this one:

xinput get-button-map <device name>

But couldn't figure out what to put in for <device name> besides
/dev/input/mouse0, /dev/input/mouse1, then I tried just 'mouse0' and
'mouse1,' no luck on any of those.

> For instance, I have this magic file:
>
> /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-mouse.sh
>
> With junk like this in it:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> xinput --set-button-map \
>         'Kensington      Kensington Expert Mouse' \
>         1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2
> xinput --set-int-prop \
>         'Kensington      Kensington Expert Mouse' \
>         'Evdev Drag Lock Buttons' 8 2 1

Where are you getting these names from?

Also, I can't find enough information in the man page to figure out how
to use this thing, there's no 'info' documentation at all, and Google
generates mostly stuff about the XBox 360 when I search for "xinput" on
it, so is there somewhere that I can go to learn more about this command?

Or does anyone know an easier way of doing this, especially if it
involves getting the wheel button to work as the middle button in
runlevel 3 (text mode) as well?

> The scripts in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d get run
> when you login to an X session, so my mouse
> settings get made on each login. If you use a KVM
> switch, or plugin the mouse later, you need something
> to run the script when it sees the mouse, like this:
>
> http://home.comcast.net/~tomhorsley/software/xdbusd/xdbusd.html

Thanks,
William