Mounting a partition within a dd image of a windows drive

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 15 19:32:04 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 2:13 PM, Jon Ingason <jon.ingason at telia.com> wrote:

> 2012-01-14 20:33, JD skrev:
>
>> Dear all,
>> I have a dd image of a windows disk.
>>
>> I run
>>
>> losetup /dev/loop0 winDrive.dd
>>
>> Then
>>
>> fdisk -l /dev/loop0
>>
>> and it shows there is 1 partition:
>>
>> /dev/loop0p1 ....etc ..... etc.
>>
>> However, I seem to have no way of mounting the partition, because
>> device loop0p1 does not exist in /dev directory.
>>
>> Short of dumping the dd image onto another hard drive, is there
>> a way to mount the ntfs partition  in the dd image?
>>

>>  Why not just mount the file as described in "man mount":
>
> THE LOOP DEVICE
>       One  further possible type is a mount via the loop device. For
>       example, the command
>
>              mount /tmp/disk.img /mnt -t vfat -o loop=/dev/loop
>
>       will set up the loop  device  /dev/loop3  to  correspond  to
>       the  file /tmp/disk.img, and then mount this device on /mnt.
>
> --
> Regards
> Jon Ingason

It does not work.
I cannot mount the image. The image itself is not a filesystem.
It is the Whole Disk image, which contains the NTFS partition.

The losetup command does accept an offset value. However, these values
have to be expressed as integers of KiB or MiB or GiB ...etc.
The NTFS partition starts at sector 63, which is not a multiple of 1KiB
(1024 Bytes).
If the losetup command could accept an offset stated in sectors or in an
arbitrary
integer number of bytes, the losetup could be used to access the partition
within
the image and mount it.
Interestingly enough, the kernel loop driver looks at the offset as a
number of sectors!

Cheers,

JD