Update regarding HDMI frustration

Fedora User fedoradch at gmail.com
Mon Jan 16 05:03:35 UTC 2012

A post for posterity. The essence of this issue was that, using KDE, the
highest resolution that was offered for my HDTV, connected to my
laptop via HDMI, was 1024x768. A number of people made a number of
suggestions.

Turns out that the problem rested in a check box toggle for unified
displays. Unchecking the box provides the ability set an HDTV at
1920x1080.

Having said that, the expectation is that one could have the laptop at
1366x768 while the TEEVee is set to 1920x1080. That is just not the
case. Apparently that, as well as WiDi are still Windows only.
Nevertheless, with slight gamma and position adjustment, I was able to
enjoy some HD media as intended.

Oh, someone recommended using xrandr to manipulate the display devices.
That might be a good idea. However, the man page is about as arcane as
The Egyptian Book of the Dead.