Update regarding HDMI frustration

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 00:34:48 UTC 2012

On Monday 16 January 2012 16:49:38 Fedora User wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jan 2012 05:45:17 +0000
> Marko Vojinovic <vvmarko at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I missed the earlier thread about this. Would something on the lines
> > of
> >
> > xrandr --output LVDS1 --mode 1366x768 --output HDMI1 --mode 1920x1080
> > --right- of LVDS1
>
> Probably not and I was trying to clone LVDS1.

How exactly do you define "clone" if two displays have different resolutions?

The --same-as option of xrandr does the cloning, but the two displays must
have the same resolution. So the resolution is chosen to be the biggest
possible one supported by *both* displays, which is probably 1024x768 in your
case ("xrandr" will list all resolutions for each output, and I can bet that
this is the biggest one that appears on both lists). That is what you'd get by
running:

xrandr --output LVDS1 --auto --output HDMI1 --auto --same-as LVDS1

You can also try to use the xrandr 1.3 options --scale (or more generally
--transform) to recast the native resolution of one display into the native
resolution of the other, but these are not going to be loseless
transformations. There is no way you can map 1366x768 onto 1920x1080 (or vice
versa) without losing quality (one way or another).

> After considerable
> experimentation, my hypothesis is that KDE grabs the extension.

I didn't look into what exactly KDE does, but my impression was always that it
just provides a GUI wrapper around xrandr, which is being called in the
background to do the actual work. I also use KDE, and was always able to use
xrandr from the command line with KDE complying quite happily.

> WiDi is Intel's wireless display. With an i5 or i7 (possibly some
> i3's), Windows 7 and about $50 in additional hardware, you can stream
> computer to HDTV wirelessly.

I've never had the opportunity to play around with wireless displays, but I
remember reading somewhere (phoronix?) that Linux support for that technology
is on the way, or just around the corner, or something... Just give it some
more time, it will become possible under Linux as well. :-)

HTH, :-)
Marko