libreoffice paper size magic.

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Tue Jan 17 08:39:29 UTC 2012

On 16/01/12 21:24, Tom Horsley wrote:
> Spent all evening googling and stracing libreoffice, etc.
> Finally found how to make the miserable thing default
> to Letter rather than A4 paper size on startup, so I
> thought I'd let other Fedora users know :-).
>
> step 1:
>
> yum install libpaper
>
> step 2:
>
> echo Letter>  /etc/papersize
>
> That's it. Finally the system wide default paper size
> for libreoffice is Letter rather than A4!
>
> (The main problem is that google turns up 47,523,621
> pages of people searching for the answer without
> finding it, so there is a lot of chaff to sort through :-).
>
> You really have to wonder why on earth libreoffice
> doesn't use the default paper size setting from the printer
> itself like every other program on the planet :-(.

        I just checked, in both F-15/64 and F16/64 I see Us Letter for
        the paper size.

        However, since both installs were from the Live/XFCE USB, as
        have been all my recent installs, I had to install LibreOffice
        via YUM in each case which may account for the difference?  Both
        computers are updated recently.

        I have saved your suggestion however.

        Bob