Print problems in AdobeReader (F16)

Ed Greshko Ed.Greshko at greshko.com
Tue Jan 17 09:23:34 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 05:11 PM, David Jansen wrote:
> Well, this may not be the perfect place to ask about a closed-source
> program, but I'm probably not the only one installing AdobeReader
> (acroread) on a Linux system.
> Ever since installing Fedora 16, AdobeReader's print properties
> dialogue is unusable: no options visible, and the line displaying the
> print command is no longer editable. Everything else works, displaying
> PDFs, and printing using the "custom" printer and specifying the lpr
> options manually. But that is of course not very convenient.
>
> Problem is the same whether I install AdobeReader for rpm
> (AdobeReader_enu-9.4.6-1.i486) or from the tar file. The same versions
> of AdobeReader work fine on Fedora 14 and 15 (and RHEL 5 and 6). So I
> guess there is something that changed in the libraries this program
> uses. Or perhaps, since it is only the print dialog that is flawed, in
> the interaction with cups.
> In case it matters: the Fedora machines are set up with cups just
> pointing to a central print server running RHEL 6.
>
> Yes, all PDFs I have work just fine in evince or okular, so it's no
> big deal. But sometimes there are those nasty things like pdf forms
> that don't really work in the open source viewers, so a solution would
> be welcome.

Running fully updated F16 the same AdobeReader RPM from Adobe.  I've got
an HP 6500 printer installed and the "Properties" dialog is displayed
correctly.  I am able to make any changes and their are honored just
fine....including the lpr line.

fools. -- Douglas Adams in "Mostly Harmless"

  * Unknown - detected
  * English
  * Chinese (Simplified)
  * Chinese (Traditional)