Graphical Login

Marko Vojinovic vvmarko at gmail.com
Tue Jan 17 16:00:27 UTC 2012

On Tuesday 17 January 2012 15:43:46 Andrea Bencini wrote:
> I installed Fedora 16 "Minimal Package Group Selection"

Is there a reason why you have installed a minimal system? Minimal is really
bare-bones system, and if you are not an expert it will bring you headaches
later on, due to the missing stuff. Minimal istall is usually intended for
deeply-customized systems, not for regular usage.

> then I installed
> NetworkManager (yum install NetworkManager)
> and at end I added "Switching to a Graphical Login" with the command:
> yum groupinstall "X Window System" Desktop.

You also probably want to groupinstall some desktop environment (Gnome, XFCE,
KDE, LXDE, Sugar), or at least a window manager (fvwm, WindowMaker, etc...).
You can find a full list of available window managers via

  yum search window manager

Either way, you probably want to do some research on which DE (or WM) you'll
want to use.

> [root at crot ~]# startx

It is generally considered a Very Bad Idea to run X as root. Aside from
security reasons, you'll have all sorts of trouble with system permissions,
SELinux, etc., and there will be some GUI apps which will (by design) outright
refuse to run as root.

Better create a regular user account for yourself and startx from there.

HTH, :-)
Marko