f16 - Brain dead wireless network manager

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Tue Jan 17 16:23:58 UTC 2012

Robert Moskowitz,
>> Then I am not getting anything to work on the Hyatt SSID, yet it is
>> showing 3 bars of signal strength.  But is there any textual info on S/N
>> or anything worthwhile?  Of course not.  WiFi is suppose to be used by
>> cellphone users that only know to look at bars on their cellphones, so
>> that must be good enough?  When you are working on multiple ESSes as you
>> will in a hotel (many have a different SSID for the lobby from the rooms
>> from the meeting rooms even without the meeting having its own!), you
>> need better.  Or at least what I had with f14.

Michael Cronenworth:
> I will answer a few of your rhetorical questions anyway. If you wish you
> see hard numbers in regards to wireless signal strength you can use
> "iwconfig" or "iw" to view all kinds of detailed information.

Though, as I'm sure Robert will agree, that's not really good enough.
The thing that you choose your connection from should provide adequate
information, itself.  It's a pain having to refer to another tool to
figure out what you should use.  It'll also be a nuisance to have to
correlate your findings to which entry they refer to in the list that
Network Manager presents for you to choose from.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.