f16 - Brain dead wireless network manager

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Tue Jan 17 16:44:26 UTC 2012

On 01/17/2012 04:11 AM, Robert Moskowitz<rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:

> f16 and gnome 3
> <snip>   I have to go into Network Settings, turn off wireless and
> turn it on.  ARGH!
>
> Then I am not getting anything to work on the Hyatt SSID,
< snip>

> I would like some help on getting things to work better...

I gave up on NetworkManager about F12. I now use wicd. It scans for hot
spots and and shows you the SSID's and strengths much like kismet. But
it also handles your encryption requirements etc. Works well. The icon
in the tray shows whether you are connected or not.

Suspend is always a problem for wireless. I have found (following
postings here) that it is best to 'ifdown wlan0' the wireless before
suspending. That leaves it in a proper state for re-instating after
re-start.

Geoff